Fun Facts About Vision
- Half of your brain capacity is dedicated to visual perception. The other half is dedicated to the remaining four senses (and if you have a sixth sense, then your brain is running on overdrive)
- The most used muscles in your body are the muscles to move your eyes. This is even more true if you enjoy watching professional table tennis
- Surface tissue of your cornea (epithelium) is the quickest healing of all your body. We insist that you do not test this one out for yourself; please, just take our word for it!
- Your eyes can get sunburned. It is called photokeratitis. Sunglasses, not sunscreen, can help prevent this. And no, your eyes will not get a tan, so let’s keep them the color they were meant to be!
- Ommatophobia is the fear of eyes. While we definitely do not have any ommatophobes on staff, we definitely have some arachnophobes!
- The average person will blink 15–20 times a minute. Some animals, like fish and snakes, don’t blink, simply because they don’t have eyelids. Hamsters also don’t blink; they wink — one eyelid at a time!